Monday, September 12, 2011

Excuse Me, Paul Krugman For Calling 9 / 11, "an Opportunity To Shame"

Excuse Me, Paul Krugman For Calling 9 / 11, "an Opportunity To Shame": Nobel economist and New York Times spread awareness Liberal Paul Krugman has led to an uproar with a 3-point (and change) blog, where he called the anniversary of 9 / 11 "an occasion of shame ". Krugman writes most stupid, bad things in the small room, but on reflection, I think the critics on the left, right and center should cut some slack Krugman. The anniversary of 9 / 11 was a difficult day for everyone and people handle grief in different ways. Krugman begins by asking one of the strangest questions I've ever heard. "Is it just me or does the commemoration 9 / 11 strangely low?" What does he expect, beer bongs and a conga line? He swings for the "disgraceful" actions in the wake of the tragedy " Bernie Kerik as a false hero, Rudy Giuliani, and yes, George W. Bush, "as they had gone to cash in on the horror." Much of the anxiety of the conservative position of Krugman as centers around the legality of launching such a political attack on such a solemn occasion, It is a right place (not something I would do), but not particularly shocking. I'm sure you could throw a rock without hitting anything is blogohemisphere as partial or worse. Krugman, a key point that post-9/11 America quickly became a place deeply divided, is something that neither side can plausibly deny it. He also refers to the political guru who has fallen a job post-9/11, but it probably had to remind the institution of journalism, who openly admits that the Bush years will pass. But what is really bad Krugman is to connect the memory of that day and the days that these divisions. The memory of 9 / 11 has been irrevocably poisoned, "he said." It has become a cause for shame. And in his heart, the nation knows. "Whatever you think about the political consequences and the policy of a post -9/11, or partisan battles that accompany it, the idea that they could affect the memory of 9 / 11 is completely upside down. If you really can affect the other is the memory of this day has the potential to be an antidote to what has been poisoned. You can chalk this to the dangers of trying to sum up 9 / 11 a quickie blog. In ten years, I do not think I've managed to write more than a paragraph on the same day. Events overwhelm the words. Every moment of this day is so frozen in time in my mind, I could write a volume on each, and still fall short. I usually spend the anniversary trying to avoid television entirely; the instant replay of the mind is vivid enough, thank you. Unavoidable are the thoughts of those thousands of souls, the horror of that lone tower, and minutes later, that empty space. I can’t scratch the surface of the things that remembering that day makes me feel, but I can say, conclusively, that shame is not one of them, and it never will be. The grief and trauma of 9/11 affects people in different and powerful ways. That’s another reason I don’t write much about that day. If I woke up every September 11 and banged out the first five paragraphs that popped into my head, I’m sure the result would often be something as imflammatory as what Krugman wrote. For example, I sometimes get pissed off when I see “Never Forget” decals and the like, because I think, “Who the hell is that for? Who could possibly forget that?” Normally I'm not afraid to do the wrong perception of anger, but with 9 / 11 comes, I discovered that it is better to err on the side of hell until exhaustion, bitterness pole invading someone else's legal troubles. In this spirit, I hope that Paul Krugman, to realize that the anniversary of 9 / 11 did not have the opportunity to shame. There are other 364 days of the calendar off the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment